Cinco de Mayo this year is on Saturday and it kept me thinking, I have no working excuse and we need to make it bigger than any other years!
We usually have a Mexican Dinner with tacos to be made by each one of us, using a variety of 20+ ingredients. This year, I am planning a whole day of fun, so we will be having Huevos Rancheros
This breakfast burrito stuffed with eggs, cheese and sausage will melt in your mouth and is perfectly portable for on the go lifestyles.
- 3 oz chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 oz. of your favorite Mexican cheese, shredded or crumbled
- 1 large burrito-sized tortilla
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.In a small pan, cook the chorizo over medium heat until cooked through. Drain excess fat.Place the tortilla on a cookie sheet covered with a very damp, clean dish towel. Let the tortilla cook for about 3 minutes.Whisk together the eggs and sour cream. It’s okay if it’s slightly lumpy. Pour the eggs into the pan over the chorizo and cook over medium heat and stir while cooking to scramble the eggs.
Take the tortilla out of the oven and place eggs down the center and then top with shredded cheese. Fold up the burrito and let it sit for about one minute to let the burrito mold itself closed
Huevos Chorizo Scramble
This delicious concoction of Mexican flavors is sure to wake up your taste buds!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled, chorizo
- 2 tablespoons canned, diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oil or lard
- 2 avocado slices (optional)
- a dollop of sour cream (optional)
Warm oil or lard over medium heat in a small pan. Pour egg into pan, constantly stirring to scramble. When eggs are almost done, fold in chorizo, chiles, cilantro and onion. Remove from heat. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Let it sit in the warm pan for 2 minutes to melt cheese and warm ingredients. Garnish with avocado slices and sour cream.
for breakfast! I know you are going to say too many eggs! We love eggs at my house, so it will be a desayuno con huevos! Would love to see your pics! Please send me if you try! [email protected]
Then, we will be working on crafts:
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Here’s what you’ll need…
• 2 Paper plates • Glue or stapler • Dried beans, unpopped popcorn or rocks • Paint and brush
Paint your paper plates any color and design you choose – eating side down.
2. Once the paint is dry fill one paper plate with dried beans, rocks or anything you have around the house that will make noise. Glue the paper plates together, and you’re done! And let’s shake it! We usually make three and form our own band! My husband plays the guitar and we sing La Bamba, using a sombrero hat! My son loves dancing, so we dance using this and other Spanish songs! So much fun, after all, it’s fiesta!
Lunch Time, we usually eat something light, like an ensalada de fruta, fruit salad with table cream, only found in Hispanic and Portuguese stores.
Dinner time is always special, my son loves tacos, I buy low fat tortillas and warm them up on a skillet and wrap them in a paper towel to keep them warm. I also chop onions, tomato, three color peppers, hot peppers, hard boiled eggs, avocado, olives and cranberries and places them in small individual containers, I also place three or four types of cheese like American, fetta, gouda shredded and cream cheese and sour cream off course! Cooked ground beef with cumin, onions salt and pepper on olive oil, small sauteed pieces of chorizo (sweet, I don’t like spicy).
Flan for dessert!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool.